Monday, March 28, 2011

Talk about issues!

I went into the book "Lying" looking for the lies. The question I keep asking myself is, "If the Epilepsy is not real than what does it represent?" At this point I have no idea how to answer that question. In fact, I am almost convinced that she really does have the illness. So far, I think the Lying is what she tells herself throughout her experience with growing up, dealing with her mom, dad and the illness. I base all this on the last few pages of chapter 3 where she tells us what happened at the grave sight, than tells us it didn't really happen but rather it is what she wanted to happen. She learned how to fall from the illness, so she wanted to fall so that she could be free. Lauren says, "The falling skill was widely generalizable, that I would be able to use it for years to come, use it in love, use it in fear, use it in hope". (55) she has learned a lesson, not about falling, but that she could trust herself to get up again, and do things on her own. She gained confidence. This skill she learned she can now apply to the rest of her life. she can now trust that if she breaks away from her need for her mom's approval she will be OK. Once she was able to do so, she was free.

No comments:

Post a Comment