Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The End

For me the ending had mixed emotions. I still don't know if I liked it or not. It really did not surprise me because we have seen this in other books with some twist. I think the reason I like the ending is because it is not the normal ending to a book and it does make you think about life in a different light. The reason I didn't like it is because I invested myself into the story and thought it was going to end somewhat happy, but it didn't. I would have rather not read it if it was going to end sad. I avoid sad movies because of this very reason. I know some people like these kind of things but for me, I like to think that all bad things can end for some kind of good and maybe this book can or does end that way. I still am not sure if Briony felt some sort of relief from guilt. I am not sure she does and so this book ends sad for me.

This book reminds me of a classic love story that I passionately hate, Romeo and Juliet. This does not mean that I hated the book altogether. There were parts of the writing I thought were good. Obviously not the over use of descriptive words. I still can't get over that it took a whole chapter and more for a little girl to run across a field to deliver a note. Back to what I was saying, I liked the part of the book when Briony talks about how she could write this love story she witnessed outside her window from three points of view in a book. This was when I realized that Briony is writing the story that I am now reading because it was exactly the way the book was written.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment