Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Metaphor as a Way to Convey Truth

I particularly liked the passage, "Metaphor is the greatest gift of language, for through it we can propel what are otherwise wordless experiences into shapes and sounds. And even if the sounds are not altogether accurate, they do resonate in a heartfelt place we cannot dismiss." That really sums up how I feel about this entire book. I'm not sure I agree with all the methods Slater uses in her memoir, and I'm not sure I even like the book that much, but I do have to admit that what she says does resonate with a kind of truth. I understand what she is doing, even if it kind of got on my nerves to read. And I do like the use of the metaphor of epilepsy to convey her feelings about growing up and coming of age. I think it's a very appropriate metaphor that does an excellent job of illustrating her experiences and the way she has felt about her life. I both like and do not like this book, but it has been very interesting and enlightening to read. It's a new way to look at truth, even after what we've already read in class. I do like that part.

No comments:

Post a Comment